This type of plaza exists throughout Chile, because when the Spanish established cities they used that point as the axis of their grid plans. This square was founded in 1541 by Pedro de Valdivia.
Originally it served as a military training camp and strategic center for the expansion of the Spanish conquest. Over time, the square became the administrative, commercial, and social nucleus of Santiago, and the buildings of the most important institutions of the time were built around it.
It is undoubtedly a very important point to learn about the beginnings of this city.